Monday, July 20, 2009

In the hospital with a fever

Luke's ANC was at zero on Friday, Dr.Yim said "have your bags packed and be ready to go to the hospital if Lukas has any fevers or pain". Well...Sunday evening at dinner he was acting pretty tired and said he was dizzy and his tummy hurt. He had a fever of 101, then I checked again with another thermometer and it was 102. By the time we checked in at the hospital his fever was down to 99.9, praise God, but it continued to hang-on around or below 101. They drew up blood cultures and started him on antibiotics. When you don't have white blood cells to fight for you the situation can get bad fast. Luke's CBC came back at about 9pm and he needed a platelet and hemoglobin transfusion. I found it interesting to learn when they separate blood the platelets are yellow! It took one hour to transfuse the platelets and four hours for the hemoglobin. Luke is grabbing my arm now trying to get to the computer to play games, he's feeling great and his fever is gone. Now we sit and wait for the blood cultures. His stem-cell harvest will have to be postponed until his counts have recovered. One good thing to come from this, at least from my perspective...the nurse gave Luke his shot last night...not Mommy...phew.

2 comments:

  1. First give me that lady's name who keeps calling you about medical bills...I take care of her!!! Just kidding, we are always being challenged in the patience area huh? Well, I'm back, and I will continue to lift you all up in prayer.....what could you use or have someone do for you, your kids or Luke right now? Anything? A Movie when he is out of the hospital- like G Force? I would love to bless you guys with tickets, a babysitter too, unless you want to go! kelli

    ReplyDelete