Wednesday, July 1, 2009

More Chemo, Stem-Cell Transplant, and Radiation

Mike, Luke and I went to the clinic yesterday afternoon for a post surgery check-up and to review the pathology report. Now that the entire tumor has been examined the classification changed from what we previously thought was favorable histology, to un-favorable histology. This means Luke is going to need some high doses of chemotherapy to make absolutely sure there aren't anymore neuroblastoma cells in his body. With high dose chemo they will send us to San Francisco to have Luke's stem-cells harvested, then after chemo they replace his stem-cells to help him recover from the treatment. This will be followed by radiation treatment in Sacramento, to ensure all those bad guys are gone. He will then have to take pills for six months. This was disappointing news, we feel, emotionally, very much the same as we did when he was first diagnosed. Tomorrow they will give Luke a bone marrow aspiration and Thursday he will have another C.T. scan and bone scan to make sure all are still cancer free.
Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the Earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, have mercy on my Lukas and heal him. -Erica

5 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am so sorry for the devasting news. He is such a strong boy and will pull through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
    He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
    The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
    The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.
    The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
    The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.
    Psalm 121
    You are all in my prayers as you continue this difficult journey and my heart aches after reading the latest news...But God...The greatest phrase in the Bible is, but God, He is able to carry you through. You are not alone.
    Much love and many prayers,
    Aunt Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cry out to our Savior with you Erica! He has Luke in the palm of His MIGHTY hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This morning at our monthly prayer meeting we added Luke and you family to our prayer list...for healing, for the medical personnel administering care, advice and treatment, for peace and comfort in the Lord. Colossinas 1:9-12

    Mark Boone (Jesse's dad)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike & Erica -

    We're thinking of you all and love you. Hang in there and keep that incredible strength you both possess up! Noele & Family

    ReplyDelete